|Date Posted:||Jan 15|
|Wage:||$120,000 - $160,000/year (doe)|
TITLE: Chief Estimator – Commercial Construction
CLIENT: Construction and Real Estate Development
LOCATION: West Houston
SALARY: $120,000 - $160,000/year (doe)
TYPE: Direct hire
The Chief Estimator is responsible for preparing accurate and detailed estimates and bids on various types of construction projects including new and renovation projects. The candidate is thoroughly familiar and experienced in the Hard-Bid and Public Commercial market. Experience in estimating Private work is a plus. Expedite timely, accurate project Bids and cost budgets in a standardized format utilizing historical data, unit pricing, subcontractor/vendor proposals and or crews and methods as discussed with management.
The Chief Estimator must rely on the use of construction plans, own experience in the industry, as well as subcontractor/supplier relationships to prepare and analyze project budgets and spending.
Candidates should have strong math and analytical skills, as well as an eye for detail.
• Target proposed projects with Management and obtain, distribute and manage plans and specifications as directed by supervisor for proposed projects.
• Accurately prepare a detailed Bid or cost estimate, when appropriate, of all aspects of a proposed project including but not limited to quantity take off, detailed cost estimate, item and subcontractor/Vendor summary by division.
• Review and defend the summarized Bid/budget with supervisor before submission, release or distribution.
• Organize and issue formal Bid Invitations to Subcontractors and Suppliers on projects targeted.
• Use existing Subcontractor and Supplier database as well as additional resources as necessary. However, constantly cultivating and seeking out additional qualified Subcontractors and Suppliers shall be on-going.
• On public work and as required, understand the minority and small business goals and advertise with the respective organizations and subcontractors/suppliers in order to solicit bids as required, meeting and, or exceeding stated goals.
• Set up and administrate all pre-bid invitations and, or meetings for associated Subcontractors and/or vendors.
• Solicit prices from all qualified Subcontractors and Vendors.
• Review and obtain knowledge of all aspects of a proposed project including but not limited to technical requirements, general conditions, details, plans, products, equipment and any other work per the contract documents.
• Act as liaison between Company and all Subcontractors/Vendors Pre and Post Bid.
• Assist in the preparation of Cost Code breakdown for Accounting job cost set up.
• Assist Construction Project Management with all project buyouts.
• Prepare preliminary schedule information and resource requirements for Project Backlog Summary posting.
• Provide detailed scope breakdown to Construction Management for incorporation into applicable
o contracts or purchase orders.
• Participate in pre-construction meetings. If necessary, initiate and direct a pre-construction meeting with the assigned Project Manager and Superintendent to convey all conceptual information about the subject project until it is thoroughly understood.
• As necessary, participate in estimating the cost of Change Orders for projects in progress.
• Suggest Value Engineering concepts and coordinate application with Management.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Building Science or Construction Management or related field required.
• Minimum 5-8 years commercial construction estimating experience on hard-bid, public sector work.
• Computer literate with a working knowledge of MS Office, estimating software such as Planswift or equivalent is required. Knowledge of Suretrak, Project, P6 is a plus.
• Detailed knowledge of reading, interpreting plans and specifications, building construction, materials and methods.
• Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Clearpoint is a staffing agency for jobs in information technology, marketing, creative, and other professionals. We do business by building long-term, mutually beneficial relationships with our employees and clients.